Saturday, March 17, 2012

Donald Draper Everywhere

Donald Draper Everywhere - It's a Mad World

I should preface this post by saying that beyond this wedding, I also coordinate two annual conferences that make up a 40-hour a week job. So, it was only natural to be on planning hyperdrive and feel a little bit of stress, which is not necessarily a bad thing (to me) and can be rather motivating.

Our engagement came around the time that I discovered Mad Men and created an addiction by catching up from the very first season. Which easily turned into three-hour marathons on most nights to watch the conflicted life of Donald Draper. I'd go to bed and wake up concerned about Don's colleagues at Sterling, Cooper, Draper (Pryce), and his family. And then disecting all the underlying messages and dipiction of the 1960's lifestyle. It was a good distraction from everything. For the next few months I accidentally called my neighbor Don. His name is Frank.

I needed help.

Employee of the Month and Love of My Life
Since I'm trying to wrap the last nine-months up in a nutshell for you, it's been quite the ride. Robert graduated from UC Davis in June, I had two conferences, and BeauMelange was getting busy. I carved a little niche for myself in my online Etsy store that I've shared with my mom for the last three years, and at times things can get very busy with birthday party favors and some other regular customers that I do some sewing work for.

It's such a blessing - the work always comes when it's needed the most. With me being busier than I could ever imagine, I recruited Robert's help and let him take over that sector of BeauMelange completely.
It's been such a life saver to have Robert's help at BeauMelange and at home. He's become quite the chef since graduating and the house is most always clean and dinner gets made, which is typically not our strongest suit when we are both running around ragged. The kitties get a lof of attention, the orders at BeauMelange have been getting done, and we are able to spend more time with each other.

A Time Out To Reflect - A Few Things That I Have Been Appreciative About In My Fiance Over the Years
Love messages from his desk to mine
  • His quick and whitty sense of humor that always keeps me laughing
  • His ability to know when I need calm and how to remedy my problems
  • His unwaivering commitment to do what he can to keep our house running, safe, and balanced in challenging times
  • His love of family - his, mine, and our three little monster kitties
  • His ability to make me feel secure
  • His patience and help to get me through my last quarters of school when my life couldn't have felt more trying
  • When he and supported me for weeks while I recovered from surgery and while he was in his Finals at school
  • His interest in my life goals list  (even more on this later)
Us on Mount Whitney, 2009 - Life Goal Item

No comments:

Post a Comment