Friday, March 16, 2012

Love Takes Thyme - Budget Savvy Shopping and Recipe

The frugal DIY bride can save for the special things that she want to splurge on by cutting elseswhere. Something that we have always been good at but didn't always implement until the engagement was couponing and getting even more creative with our food budget.

More recently, I tremendously hurt my back and was on couch rest for nearly two solid weeks - picture usually shaped pillow walls, heating pads, medicine, four yellow walls, and a Sissy Kitty. Robert had to tend to me because I had such a hard time moving on my own. He has been through several episodes exactly like this and I am very impressed now by how strong he is and how little he complains when it happens. If it didn't hurt to breath, then I would have been screaming in agony.

Sissy Noodle and Rice a Roni



In anycase, our food supply had become severely depleted because I hadn't gone shopping for at least a week and a half before the injury. Sure, the situation(s) were uncomfortable, but Robert stayed home to help and I'm so glad he did. Using what we had, Robert cooked meals that were eachunique and delicious. And, they were all made from leftovers and things hidden deep in the freezer and cabinets that I would have never given a thought to otherwise.

When I was able to walk long enough to do a shopping stint, I challenged myself to a grocery budget that would have implied I was single. I beat that budget by $22 that evening. Now I'm motivated! It's two weeks later and we still have many of the groceries I bought in the freezer and cabinets. Both situations gave us perspective and another level to our budget wedding challenge.

Here is one of our favorite budget recipes:
Mel and Rob Pizza adapted from Betty Crocker




Crust:
2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
package regular or quick active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 cup very warm water (120° to 130°)
Leftovers (meats, cheeses, and vegies)
Sauce:
1 can tomato paste
seasonings to taste (garlic salt, basil, marjoram, italian seasoning, thyme and love)

Directions:
Mix 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons oil and the warm water. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in enough remaining flour until dough is soft and leaves sides of bowl. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead 5 to 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes. Continue as directed below for thin crusts or thick crusts.

For Thin Crusts: Heat oven to 425°. Grease 2 cookie sheets or 12-inch pizza pans with oil (sometimes I skip the oil and powder the pan with cornmeal). Divide dough in half. Pat each half into 12-inch circle on cookie sheets. Poke vent holes in the crust using a fork. Partially bake 7 to 8 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Add toppings and bake as for 10-12 minutes.

For Thick Crusts: Grease 2 square pans, 8x8x2 inches, or 2 round pans, 9x1 1/2 inches, with oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Divide dough in half. Pat each half in bottom of pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 30 to 45 minutes or until almost double. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375°. Poke vent holes in the crust using a fork. Partially bake 7 to 8 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Add toppings and bake for 20-22 minutes.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment